Notice: Sources often remove their news links after a period of time. Some of them move older stories to a subscription-only section. Even if the story is no longer on line, our summary will still be available on this page.
Earlier articles: After Dec. 31, 2011
Older Articles: Before Jan. 1, 2011
The New Evangelicals: How Christians are rethinking Abortion and Gay Marriage
Dec. 28, 2011 - Marcia Pally, author of the book The New Evangelicals: Expanding the Vision of the Common Good, says that
a small but growing number of evangelicals are distancing themselves from the "Religious Right." For them, homosexuality is not a great issue.
Richard Cizik, who was vice president for governmental affairs for the National Association of Evangelicals (NAE) in 2008 was asked to
resign after a National Public Radio interview where he said he had "shifting feelings" about gay civil unions.
On the other hand, 58% of elderly evangelicals and 46% of baby boomers who do think homosexuality is a serious problem, and 80% of theological
conservatives report strong discomfort with homosexuality.
- Cizik further noted that 40% of young evangelicals have a gay friend or family member, and that over 50% favour same-sex civil unions or
marriages. Moreover, only 29% of evangelicals under thirty hold that the "homosexual lifestyle" is a "major" problem.
- Source: ABC
'Religious Beliefs' Are 'Standing In The Way Of Protecting Human Rights'
Dec. 7, 2011 - Earlier this week President Obama signed a memorandum which the White House called the
“first-ever U.S. government strategy dedicated to combating human rights abuses against LGBT persons abroad."
Then, on Dec. 6, at a meeting of the United Nations' Human Rights Council in Geneva, Secretary of State Hillary
Clinton said that religious beliefs and cultural values do not justify the failure to uphold the human rights of
- With Syrian abuses having been at the forefront of the Human Rights Council’s attention in recent days and weeks,
Clinton’s focus on “LGBT rights” was unexpected,
- Source: CNS News
The 0.2 Percent Solution
- Oct. 4, 2011 - Chuck Colson exposes the fact that in spite of recent laws allowing homosexual partners to
be married, there are only 131,000 such households. He argues that it is laughable to try to form a civil rights
movement for this tiny slice of the American public (.2 percent- 1/5 of 1%). He says he has never believed that most
gays want to marry because their behavior is "by its very nature is too promiscuous." He adds:
- For us to redefine marriage, thereby altering thousands of years of human history, ignoring all of the benefits
marriage offers to individuals, cultures, civilizations and — above all — children, ... is madness.
- Source: Crosswalk
Exodus International: Churches Shying from Controversy
- July 22, 2011 - Exodus International, the world's largest ministry that reaches out to homosexuals, has lost
the support of a number of church groups in recent years. Now the 24,000 member Willow Creek Community Church,
known as the most influential church in America, has broken ties with them.
- But Alan Chambers, president of Exodus International, said Willow Creek's departure is evidence of a "disappointing
trend" in the Christian community, with churches and other groups shying away from controversial issues --
like homosexual outreach.
- Source: CBN
Willow Creek Splits with Exodus International - Christianity Today
Reparative Therapy, Homosexuality, & the Gospel
- July 19, 2011 - The presidential candidacy of Michelle Bachmann will stimulate a strong disagreement between
the secular therapeutic community and evangelical Christians. Her husband, Marcus Bachmann, runs a clinic that is
being accused of offering treatment and counseling intended to change sexual orientation.
Theologian Albert Mohler reminds us of the strong biblical teaching against homosexuality and argues that the
normalization of homosexuality simply cannot be accepted by anyone committed to biblical Christianity.
- The politicians, the mental health industry, and the media
will have their own debate on the matter, but Christians now face the urgent challenge of thinking about these
issues in a way that is fully biblical and theological — and thus faithful to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Source: Crosswalk
California Lawmakers Order Gay History Included in Textbooks
- Jul. 5, 2011 - The California Assembly has passed a bill requiring public school textbooks to include the
accomplishments of gay Americans. If Governor Jerry Brown signs the bill into law, California will be the first
state to mandate the teaching of gay history.
- Today’s vote has implications for the textbook industry because California is the largest buyer in the U.S.,
accounting for almost 13 percent of the $3.4 billion market in 2009.
- Source: NewsMax
Calif. is First State to Force Gay History Into Classrooms - The Christian Post
New York Becomes the Sixth State to Legalize Gay Marriage
- Jun. 25, 2011 - New York's governor Andrew Cuomo signed a bill Friday legalizing gay marriages. The bill was
backed by four Republicans and 29 Democrats in the GOP-controlled Senate.
- The sticking point over the past few days: Republican demands for stronger legal protections for religious
groups that fear they will be hit with discrimination lawsuits if they refuse to allow their facilities to
be used for gay weddings.
- Source: Fox
NY Gov. Cuomo Signs Same-Sex Marriage Into Law - Newsmax
- The Fall of Empires - Michael Craven on Toynbee - Crosswalk
'Gay' judge's Prop 8 ruling upheld
- Jun. 15, 2011 - Federal judge James Ware has ruled that ex-Judge Vaughn Walker, an open homosexual, was
not disqualified from declaring California's Proposition 8 unconstitutional.
- Source: WorldNetDaily
Demographer: US has 4M adults who identify as gay
Apr. 7, 2011 - Gary Gates, a demographer at the Williams Institute on Sexual Orientation Law and Public Policy,
at UCLA has attempted to answer the question of how many Americans are actually homosexual. In the 1940's sex
researcher Alfred Kinsey said that 10 percent of the men he surveyed were "predominantly homosexual."
Recent conventional wisdom has assumed that 3 to 5 percent of the population was homosexual, so the new study is
- Gates' best estimate, derived from five studies that have asked subjects about their sexual orientation, is
that the nation has about 4 million adults who identify as being gay or lesbian, representing 1.7 percent of
the 18-and-over population.
- Source: AP- Google
Boehner Rips Obama's 'Outrageous' Behavior
Mar. 3, 2011 - President Obama's decision not to defend the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) has drawn strong
reaction from former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and current House Speaker John Boehner.
Boehner called the President's decision “outrageous” and vows that Republicans will intervene in the next few days. He
was not sure what action the House of Representatives would take at this point, but Gingrich suggested that they
should pass a resolution instructing the president to enforce the law and to obey his own constitutional oath. If he
fails to do so they should defund the office of attorney general and "take other steps as necessary until the president
agrees to do his job.”
- Gingrich said: “His job is to enforce the rule of law and for us to start replacing the rule of law with the rule of
Obama is a very dangerous precedent."
- Source: Newsmax
- Who's Bashing Whom? - Charles Colson - Christian Post
Obama admin. will no longer defend marriage law
Feb. 23, 2011 - In spite of President Obama's oath of office to defend the Constitution, and the implication
that this has always carried that the Justice Department has the responsibility to defend the properly enacted laws,
he has decided not to defend the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) by abandoning it in the courts.
The law defines marriage as a union between one man and one woman. Thirty states also have constitutional amendments or
laws to the same effect. According to Mat Staver, founder of Liberty Counsel,
- "They want to simply conspire with the radical homosexual agenda to overturn and literally allow this law to go into
expiration," Staver explains. "I can tell you, the American people see through this radicalism, the American people
will not tolerate this..."
- Source: OneNewsNow
- Obama Comes Out of the Closet on Marriage
- Family Research Council
Notice: Ads are not necessarily endorsed by Prophecy Central.