<! News Articles - break table here>
<! end of articles column>
Notice: Sources often remove their news links after a period of time. Some of them move older stories to a subscription-only section. Even if the story is no longer on line, our summary will still be available on this page.
See stories After Dec. 31, 2009
See stories before Jan. 1, 2009
European Union Begins 2010 With New Look
Dec. 24, 2009 -
Former Belgian prime minister Herman Van Rompuy takes office on January 1 as the first permanent president of the union.
- The European Union begins 2010 profoundly transformed. A landmark agreement called the Lisbon Treaty is in force, aimed to increase EU clout on the world stage and streamline its decision-making.
- Source: Voice of America
<!- Google List Line - move up with current stories >
Europe Rides The Beast: Official EU Symbols Tell Us Exactly What The Global Elite Plan To Do To Humanity
This is a must-read article with numerous pictures of the European symbol of a woman riding a beast. The symbolism comes from Greek mythology. Europa was beautiful Phoenecian woman attracted the attention of the god Zeus. He transformed himself into a beautiful white bull. Europa mounted the bull and he carries her away.
Europeans are enamored with this symbol, but it reminds prophecy students of the altar to Zeus in Pergamum, which is called "Satan's throne" in Revelation 2:12-13. It is also similar to the woman riding the beast in Revelation 17 that stands for the final evil world empire.
- Source: The Last Days
EU could bring peace to Middle East
Dec. 4, 2009 - William Nitze and Leon Hadar say that the EU must stop depending on US policy on the Israel-Palestine conflict. Their Union for the Mediterranean is already a step in the right direction, bringing together EU members with non-EU countries that border the Mediterranean, including Israel and the PA.
They believe that joining the EU would help the Israelis and Palestinians economically. It would also provide laws, rules and norms of behaviour that would protect both from succumbing to their worst instincts.
- But the main European contribution to inducing the two sides to make peace – and to eventually sustain it – would be the offer of EU membership to Israel and Palestine.
- Source: Guardian - UK
Unknown duo chosen as new faces of Europe
Nov. 23, 2009 - Belgian Prime Minister Herman van Rompuy was chosen as the European Union's first regular President. The EU represents 500,000,000 people, a larger population and larger total economy than the U.S.
Another virtually unknown person, Lady Catherine Ashton, British Commissioner of Trade, was elected as EU High
- She will head up a new EU foreign ministry made up of 3,000 diplomats with 200 EU embassies and a fat wallet for peacekeeping missions.
- Source: Euranet
- Herman Van Rompuy: today the EU, tomorrow the world! - He hailed 2009 as “the first year of global governance." - Daniel Hannan - Telegraph
- New EU president raises fears in aspirant Turkey - Reuters
- EU President Herman Van Rompuy vs. Oprah Winfrey - Examiner.com
20th Anniversary: The Fall of the Berlin Wall
Nov. 9, 2009 - From 1961 to 1989 a massive wall of concrete and steel separated East and West Germany and became the symbol of Communist oppression. In 1987 President Ronald Reagan stood at the Brandenberg Gate and called on Soviet Premier Gorbachev to "tear down this wall."
This great event led to the fall of other communist regimes across Eastern Europe.
- On Nov. 9, 1989, the communist government of East Germany announced that all residents would be permitted to travel to West Berlin and West Germany. Crowds of Eastern and Western Germans climbed onto the wall, where they met in peaceful celebration.
- Source: Fox
- November 9, 1989 - the day that changed European history - Deutsche Welle
- Obama Draws Criticism for Sitting Out Berlin Wall Anniversary - Fox
Ministers back Blair as best man to lead EU
Oxt. 26, 2009 - David Miliband, Britain's Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, is leading the push for Tony Blair to become the new EU president. He said the person in that role should be someone who “stopped the traffic” in Washington and Beijing, meaning that he would have the highest access to world leaders.
- In an article for The Times today Mr Miliband calls for the EU to expand by taking in the western Balkans, Turkey and Ukraine and to step up and take its place as the world’s largest market and strongest regional alliance.
- Source: Times Online
Ireland backs EU's Lisbon Treaty
Oct. 3, 2009 - By a strong 67% majority, Irish voters have endorsed the European Union's Lisbon Treaty. Sixteen months ago they rejected it and plunged EU reforms into deadlock.
Jose Manuel Barroso, The president of the European Commission,said it was a great day for Europe, and urged Poland and the Czech Republic - the only other countries yet to ratify Lisbon - to sign the treaty as soon as possible.
- The treaty - which is aimed at streamlining decision-making in the 27-nation bloc - cannot take effect until all 27 member states ratify it.
Tony Blair Could Become EU President Within Weeks
Oct. 1, 2009 - If Ireland ratifies the Lisbon Treaty, it is expected that all 27 member nations will soon agree to the reforms and former British Prime Minister Tony Blair will most likely be chosen as the union's first president, possibly as soon as the end of October.
- Source: The Sun - UK
- 'President' Blair waits on voters of Ireland -Times Online
US to shelve Europe missile plan
Sept. 17, 2009 - President Obama has announced that US Plans to build a missile defence system in Poland and the Czech Republic have been scrapped. The reason given for the decision is that Iran's long-range missile plans are not as advanced as previously thought.
- Russia, which saw the missile plan as a threat, welcomed the news.
However, the change has already been heavily criticised in conservative circles in the US.
- Source: BBC
- Poles, Czechs: US missile defense shift a betrayal - "Betrayal! The U.S. sold us to Russia and stabbed us in the back," the Polish tabloid Fakt declared on its front page. - Google - AP
- Russia scraps missile plan after US move - YNet News
Crisis makes Europe the richest region in the world, study says
Sept. 17, 2009 - According to a new study about the economic crisis, Europe is now the richest region in the world.
- North America's wealth, measured in assets under management, plummeted by 21.8 percent, the steepest decline in the world. A lesser fall was registered in Europe, where assets shrunk by 5.8 percent.
- Source: EUobserver
U.S. no longer most competitive economy
Sept 8, 2009 - Because of our high budget deficit, a very low savings rate, and a public debt that has been rising over the past years, a recent poll shows that the U.S. has dropped to second place among the world's most competitive economies. Switzerland now holds the top spot.
- Source: MSNBC
- Switzerland and the European Union - Wikipedia
Obama 'like Romans who destroyed Jewish Temples'
July 29, 2009 -
- Marking the saddest day on the Jewish calendar, about a thousand Jewish protesters today read the biblical book of Lamentations in front of the U.S. consulate in Jerusalem to protest against the Obama administration's demand to freeze Jewish construction in eastern sections of the city.
- Source: WorldNetDaily
EU Rejects Multi-Billion Dollar Rescue Plan For Eastern Europe
Mar. 2, 2009 - Eastern European nations asked the EU for about $240 billion to help their failing economies. The EU did approve $30 billion, but declined the larger amount. Hungary warned that the rejection could lead to an economic "iron curtain" across the continent.
- Source: Worthy News
- Economic crisis threatens the idea of one Europe - International Herald Tribune
Crisis claims Icelandic cabinet
Jan. 26, 2009 - Because of their escalating economic crisis, the cabinet of the island nation of Iceland has resigned, and the prime minister has called an early general election for 9 May.
- Conservative Prime Minister Geir Haarde announced the resignation of his cabinet, after talks with his Social Democratic coalition partners failed.
- Iceland 'could apply to EU soon' - BBC
Blair reappears on shortlist to head EU
Jan 11, 2009 - If the European Union’s Lisbon Institutional Reform Treaty is ratified next year it will establish a full-time presidency for the EU. Tony Blair, the Former Prime Minister of the UK is considered a possible choice for the position. Four great crises have underscored the need for a high-profile leader. The recent crises are last August’s Russia-Georgia war, the global financial meltdown, the Gaza conflict, and the shutdown of Russian gas deliveries to Europe.
- Source: Financial Times
| <! start of ad column>
<! Google ads>
Notice: Ads are not necessarily endorsed by Prophecy Central.