The War of Gog and Magog
This is the war of Ezekiel 38 and 39. We relate it to the war of the Second Seal in Revelation 6:3-4, but some respected scholars apply it to The Battle of Armageddon later in the Book of Revelation.
Click on one of these
references to see
Thanks to the services of:
<! Google ad table for Current Events - After "Current" tag>
<!Current Events Table >
<! End of Current Events Table>
<! News Articles - break table here>
<! end of articles column>
Notice: Sources often remove their news links after a period of time. Some of them move older stories to a subscription-only section. Even if the story is no longer on line, our summary will still be available on this page.
Israel can't launch strike against Iran on its own
Dec. 30, 2009 - Amos Harel, Haaretz Correspondent, writes that Israel is capable of bombing Iranian nuclear sites, but not capable of handling the results without help.
- But it is doubtful whether Israel can allow itself to act against the wishes of the United States - to stand alone against an Iranian response and begin an open-ended operation against a nation of 70 million people.
- Source: Haaretz
- 'US readying paralyzing Iran sanctions' - Jerusalem Post
- Source: Haaretz
<!- Google List Line - move up with current stories >
Stalemate: How Obama's Iran Outreach Failed
Dec. 23, 2009 - President Obama has tried to use a new approach with Iran, but they have so far rejected a deal that would require them to ship out most of their current enriched-uranium stockpile for conversion abroad into harmless reactor fuel.
The President is now working o a plan to impose sanctions on Iran through the United Nations, but it is unlikely that Russia and China will agree to any "crippling" measures.
- "I don't think anyone can doubt that our outreach has produced very little in terms of any kind of positive response from the Iranians," Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said last week.
- Source: TIME
Israel, Arab countries plan for war with Iran
Dec. 21, 2009 - According to a senior Egyptian intelligence official, representatives of Israel, Egypt, Jordan and the U.S. held a meeting last week to discuss what Iran might do to retaliate if Israel should strike their nuclear sites.
Militants inside Jordan allied with the Muslim Brotherhood could also attack Jordanian interests. Saudia Arabia was not involved in the talks, but it is known that they also fear Iran' military growth, and there were unconfirmed reports that the Saudis had given Israel permission to fly over their territory if necessary to attack their nuclear facilities.
- The official said the concern was that Iran would use proxies such as Hamas in the Gaza Strip to attack both Egypt and Israel, while Hezbollah in Lebanon would launch missiles at Israeli population centers, including Tel Aviv.
There is religious tension between the Shiite branch of Islamic teaching espoused by Iran and the Sunni branch adopted by Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Jordan.
- Source: WorldNetDaily
- Iran comes out on top in secret simulated war games - Times Online - UK
- PM: Israel faces the 'Goldstone threat' - Jerusalem Post
- Read about Iran's sponsorship of terrorism against Saudi Arabia - Prophecy Central's Terrorism section
Obama told China: I can't stop Israel strike on Iran indefinitely
Dec. 17, 2009 - During his recent trip to Beijing, President Barack Obama warned Chinese President Hu Jintao that china needs to support strict sanctions on Tehran if it does not accept Western proposals. Otherwise, he will not be able to keep Israel from attacking Iranian nuclear installations for much longer.
- Beijing agreed to join the condemnation of Iran by the International Atomic Energy Agency only a week after Obama's visit. But in the past two weeks the Chinese have maintained their hard stance regarding the West's wishes to impose sanctions on the Islamic Republic.
- Source: Haaretz
- A Nobel War Speech?
Did Obama lay the groundwork for an eventual strike against Iran? by William Kristol - Weekly Standard
The Pentagon Prepares for a Missile Attack from 'Iran'
Dec. 17, 2009 - Current intelligence suggests that Iran will not have a long-range ICBM (intercontinental ballistic missile) until around 2020. However, next month the U.S. will conduct an interceptor test that would be capable of destroying a future Iranian ICBM.
Army Lieutenant General Patrick O'Reilly said that one of our own ICBM missiles will be fired from the Marshall Islands to simulate an Iranian attack. An interceptor missile will be launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California to hopefully hit the incoming rocket head-on.
- Source: TIME
Iran Test-Fires Its Longest-Range Missile
Dec. 16, 2009 - Iran has an upgraded version of its longest-range, solid-fuel missile
Vahidi also said the missile could not be destroyed "because of its radar-evading ability."
- Defense Minister Gen. Ahmad Vahidi later spoke on television, describing the Sajjil-2 as a high-speed, surface-to-surface missile that would serve as a "strong deterrent" against any possible foreign attack.
- Source: Fox
- Tougher sanctions against Iran to be approved by US politicians - The National
- Russia coming to Iran's defense - Signals opposition to increased sanctions - WorldNetDaily
U.S.: Clock Is Ticking on Iran Nuke Program
Dec. 12, 2009 - President Barack Obama's administration has issued another warning to Iran to agree by the end of the year to to curb its nuclear ambitions. The White House said there would be "credible consequences" if Tehran does not comply.
- In the last few days it has raised the specter of a fourth round of UN sanctions, which will require the full support of its five negotiating partners -- Britain, France and Germany as well as Russia and China.
- Source: NewsMax
EU leaders urge international action against Iran
Dec. 11, 2009 - Twenty-seven EU leaders agreed to issue a statement that action should be taken against Iran because of its refusal to cooperate over its nuclear program.
- "The European Union stands ready to take the necessary steps," it said, ordering EU foreign ministers to prepare these steps, without elaborating on whether that would mean separate EU sanctions or support for new UN sanctions.
- Source: Haaretz
Has Iran's Supreme Leader Disappeared?
Dec. 8, 2009 - According to an underground source in Iran, that country's highest official, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei, has been taken to a "secret place" for his own safety during protests by pro-democracy students. Iranian police have been ordered to quell the demonstrations by violent restraint.
The underground reporter also said that prominent clergy went to meet with Khamenei, encouraging him to show leniency to the student demonstrators. The dissidents contend that the re-election in June of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was rigged, and that the government does not allow academic freedom.
- A helicopter was ready with a pilot in it to perhaps fly him out to Russia if the situation got out of hand," the source told Israel National News on Tuesday.
Meanwhile some police forces refused to restrain protestors because they have discovered that the mullahs lied to them and they were very, very sorry for beating their own countrymen.
- Source: Israel National News
'Iran can now produce nuclear bomb'
Dec. 7, 2009 - Brig.-Gen. Yossi Baidatz, head of Israel's Military Intelligence's research division, says that Iran now has the means to build a nuclear bomb.
He said that all that was needed now was the decision to go ahead and produce the nuclear weapon.
- Speaking at the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee, Baidatz said Iran had successfully enriched 1,800 kilograms of uranium, enough to build over one bomb.
- Source: Jerusalem Post
Ahmadinejad Reportedly Claims U.S. is Blocking Return of Mankind's Savior
Dec. 7, 2009 - Dubai based Al Arabiya, a television news station, quoted Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad that the United States is trying to block the return of mankind's savior, Madhi.
- "They have devised all these plans to prevent the coming of the Hidden Imam because they know that the Iranian nation is the one that will prepare the grounds for his coming and will be the supporters of his rule."
- Source: Fox
Iran successfully simulates nuclear warhead detonation
Dec. 4, 2009 - Iran has apparently successfully simulated the detonation of a nuclear warhead in laboratory conditions. This is one of the most difficult technological challenges in the development of a nuclear weapon. It avoids the necessity of an underground nuclear test, which would cause world turmoil.
- After this breakthrough, the German BND intelligence believes it will take Tehran no more than a year to perfect its expertise and stock enough highly-enriched uranium to make the last leap toward building the first Iranian nuclear bomb or warhead.
- Source: DEBKAfile report
| <! start of ad column>
<! Google ads>
Notice: Ads are not necessarily endorsed by Prophecy Central.
Check out Today's News
Return to Top
Gog and Magog Links
- The Magog Invasion - Chuck Missler
- Magog Revisited - Missler
- Ezekiel 38 - Bill Konig
Excerpts from The Prophecy Puzzle
Gog is not mentioned in the genealogies of Genesis 10, but he is evidently the head of the land of Magog, who is mentioned as a son of Japheth.
Hesoid, a Greek writer of the 7th century BC, and contemporary of Ezekiel, identified Magog with the Scythians and southern Russia. Flavius Josephus, a 1st century Jewish historian said that Magogians were called "Scythians" by the Greeks. Philo, a 1st century Greek identified Magog with southern Russia. (Chuck Missler, "The Magog Invasion" Briefing Package, 1995, pp. 1-2)
Commentators from the turn of this century and before have generally identified Gog and Magog with Russia even though, at the time, they could not explain why Russia would turn against God's people. They conjectured that perhaps the time would come when there would be animosity between Russia and Israel.
Rosh - "head", "chief", sounds like Russia. Meshech sounds like Moscow or Mushkovi, the old name for Russia. Tubal - sounds like Tobolsk.
The Target: Israel
This is the only time in history that this could be said of Israel, that they were brought back from many nations. It is true that they were brought back from Babylon and Persia in the Old Testament, but it is only since the Zionist movement, which began in the late 1800's, that Jewish people have returned from nations all over the world. They had been scattered abroad even in New Testament times. On the Day of Pentecost, for example, they various languages spoken by the Apostles, when the Holy Spirit came upon them, represented the many lands where they had settled. But they had not returned to stay. This really never happened until the amazing events that led to the rebirth of Israel in 1948.
What thoughts would come into Russia's mind to make them want to attack Israel? A consideration of Russia's instability and the plans of some of their leaders for expansion throughout the Mediterranean area is given below. Israel has always been a key land bridge between Russia's allies and is presently an enemy of some of those allies. Any number of scenarios in the always-volatile Middle East politics could lead to a Russian attack in the future.
Most of the names in this passage can also be found in Genesis 10. That chapter contains the story of the migration of the descendants of Noah after the flood.
Persia is modern Iran. Cush is the ancient name for Ethiopia. Put is Lybia, Gomer corresponds to the area of modern Germany, and Togarmah most likely represents Armenia and Turkish tribes
It is interesting that Mizraim, the forefather of Egypt is apparently missing from this lineup. This, of course, fits the current world scene, with Egypt being the first Arab nation to make peace with Israel.
Israel's allies appear to be few and feeble. Some of Saudi Arabia was populated by Sheba and Dedan. The merchants of Tarshish could be England and English colonies. In that case, The United States could even be included since we were once an English colony. These allies ask why Russia and its allies are coming, but do not appear to deter them.
"And with pestilence and with blood I shall enter into judgment with him; and I shall rain on him, and on his troops, and on the many peoples who are with him, a torrential rain, with hailstones, fire, and brimstone.
3 "And I shall strike your bow from your left hand, and dash down your arrows from your right hand.
4 "You shall fall on the mountains of Israel, you and all your troops, and the peoples who are with you; I shall give you as food to every kind of predatory bird and beast of the field.
5 "You will fall on the open field; for it is I who have spoken," declares the Lord GOD.
6 "And I shall send fire upon Magog and those who inhabit the coastlands in safety; and they will know that I am the LORD.
Last Updated: 1/11/10
<!- links - reviewed >
Copyright © 1996-2010 by Ron Graff. All rights reserved.
<!-Google tracker >
<!- End Google tracker >