Notice: Sources often remove their news links after a period of time. Some of them move older stories to a subscription-only section. Even if the story is no longer on line, our summary will still be available on this page.
More Recent Articles: After Dec. 31, 2008
Older Articles: Before Dec 10, 2008
Pope Accused of Stoking Homophobia After Speech
Dec. 23, 2008 - Yesterday, at an end-of-year address to the Curia, the Vatican's central administration, Pope Benedict said that, just as the rainforests need our protection, humanity itself needs protection from homosexuality.
- He said that humanity needed to listen to the “language of creation” to understand the intended roles of man and woman and behavior beyond traditional heterosexual relations was a “destruction of God’s work”.
- Source: Fox
U.N. divided over gay rights declaration
Dec. 18, 2008 - The United Nations is divided over the issue of decriminalizing homosexuality.
No resolution has been drafted on the issue yet.
- Diplomats said a joint statement initiated by France and the Netherlands gathered 66 signatures in the 192-nation assembly after it was read out by Argentina at a plenary session. A rival statement, read out by Syria, gathered some 60.
- Source: Reuters
Rick Warren to Pray at Inauguration
Dec. 18, 2008 - President-elect Obama has asked evangelical Pastor Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at his inauguration on Jan. 20th. Liberal groups are not pleased with the choice.
Rev. Joseph Lowery, a civil rights icon, will give the benediction.
- Many call Warren a "homophobe" and an "anti-gay bigot" for his opposition to gay marriage. They are particularly upset that he supported California Proposition 8, which banned same-sex marriage.
- Source: CBN
- Liberals Outraged Over Rick Warren's Obama Invocation - NewsMax
- Statement by Dr. Rick Warren, Pastor of Saddleback Church Regarding the Invitation from President-elect Obama to Deliver the Inaugural Invocation
- The High Cost of Being (and Staying) Cool -- Rick Warren in a Whirlwind - Crosswalk
- Inaugural Pastor Rick Warren Slammed Left and Right - NewsMax
Obama’s Pick for Education Secretary Pushed For Gay High School
Dec. 16, 2008 - Arne Duncan, head of Chicago Public Schools, is President-elect Obama's choice for Secretary of Education. He is known as a reformer. One of the changes he has proposed is the establishment of a "Social Justice Pride Campus," which would be Chicago's first high school designed for gay, lesbian and transgender teens.
- Source: CBN
Newsweek Cover Story: Gay Marriage:
Our Mutual Joy
Dec. 6, 2008 Edition of Newsweek- The subtitle of this article is, "Opponents of gay marriage often cite Scripture. But what the Bible teaches about love argues for the other side." The writer compares the debate to the preaching about slavery before the Civil War. She then complains that today it is mostly the gay-marriage opponents, who use Scripture as their foundation. She says,
The article belittles the Biblical concept of marriage and tries to explain away various passages that condemn homosexuality. She exposes her view of the Bible by saying that no sensible modern person want marriage to look like what the Bible describes.
- The Bible does condemn gay male sex in a handful of passages. Twice Leviticus refers to sex between men as "an abomination" (King James version), but these are throwaway lines in a peculiar text given over to codes for living in the ancient Jewish world."
- Source: Lisa Miller Senior Editor and Religious Columnist - Newsweek
- Video: The Future of a Movement - Newsweek
- Newsweek: Bible supports same-sex marriage Chelsea Schilling - WorldNetDaily
- An Obvious Truth: The Bible Supports Traditional Marriage - John Mark Reynolds
- Turning the Bible on its Head -- Newsweek Goes for Gay Marriage - Albert Mohler Jr., President of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Newsweek draws fire on gay marriage - Politico.com
- Looking for a 'Serious' Conversation - Christianity Today
- Christians Angry Over Newsweek Gay Claim - NewsMax
Notice: Ads are not necessarily endorsed by Prophecy Central.