In 1997 a theory emerged that the Bible contains hidden mathematical messages. Had this been true, it would have enhanced our reverence of the Scriptures by showing, in another way, that they are of divine origin. However, there is strong evidence today that these codes were the result of the laws of random choice. Many good Christian leaders still think there is some validity to the codes. Only time will tell.
It should be remembered that the trustworthiness of the Scripture does not depend on whether or not the codes exist. In any case there are numerous traditional reasons for believing that "all Scripture is inspired by God." - 2 Timothy 3:16
Diligence and caution are advised for those who pursue these subjects:
Torah Codes - Equidistant Letter Sequences (ELS)
Princess Di in Moby Dick
- This illustrates why we do not accept the Bible Codes theory.
- Source: Brendan McKay (1997),
Physicist Challenges Hidden Bible Code
- Nov. 8, 1999 - The new theatrical movie "The Omega Code" is based on the idea that there are hidden message codes in the Bible. "But according to physicist Randall Ingermanson, author of Who Wrote the Bible Code?, excitement over a hidden code is much ado about nothing."
Dr. Ingermanson developed a computer program to measure the amount of "encoded" information in the Hebrew Bible. The result? The supposedly hidden messages could be accounted for by the laws of random chance.
- Ingermanson, a theoretical physicist with a Ph.D. from the University of California at
Berkeley, has worked as a computational physicist in San Diego since 1988. He has
authored dozens of scientific articles and reports in quantum field theory, superstring
theory and plasma physics. In addition to his scientific credentials, Ingermanson also
reads Hebrew, and has read the Torah in its original language. This gives him a
unique perspective on the Bible code controversy.
- Source: Maranatha Christian Journal (Story no longer online)
Why I Am No Longer Researching The Codes - by Lori Eldridge
- October, 1998 - Prophezine (Story no longer online)
- April, 1997 - Guy Cramer discusses a refutation of the topic by Professor of Hebrew, Dr. James Price, and concludes:
(Story no longer online)
- The Bible ELS Codes go the way of Cold Fusion
The conclusions of Dr Price's research should end any further research, books, movies, t.v. shows and articles... into
the ELS phenomenon. God did not hide ELS codes in the Bible. The ELS codes do not prove divine authorship of the
Hebrew Bible. This phenomenon will occur in all texts and all literature. It is just a strange random phenomenon.
- Earlier links- when the theory was new:
Understanding the Concept
- Torah Codes Archive
- Visit this PropheZine section to get up to speed with Lori Eldridge's three-part series "Torah Codes 101" and other helpful articles and links.
- Discussion Forum on Torah Codes
- Join a discussion of the significant developments in this field. After reading the instruction page, pick the option of Torah Codes.
- This source includes a list of websites, audio tapes, computer programs, books, and other resources to aid in the study of this subject.
- Source: Prophezine (Story no longer online)
- Official Torah Codes
- This is what Robert Kass, editor of Statistical Science had to say about the Witztum-Rips-Rosenberg codes experiment. The site also has many valuable links, including one to the original article (abridged) from the August 1994 issue of Statistical Science. (No longer on line)
The Signature of God by Grant Jeffrey
- The Mysterious Hebrew Codes
- This article from Grant Jeffrey, about his latest book, The Signature of God, shows that the recent discovery of hidden messages in the Torah can only be explained by God's direction in the writing of the Scriptures.
The Bible Code by Michael Drosnin
- Excerpt from Chapter One
- From publisher's site (Simon & Schuster) (Story no longer online)
Deciphering God's Plan
- This June 9, 1997 article from Time Magazine is about The Bible Code, a book by Michael Drosnin that claims that the assassination of Yitzak Rabin was foretold in the hidden codes of the Torah, and that many other dreadful events of the near future may be predicted the same way. It is based on the system used by Israeli mathematician Eliyahu Rips, a respected professor. at Jerusalem's Hebrew University. However, Rips has denounced Drosnin's work and said that using the code to predict the future is futile.
- Source: Time (Story no longer online)
Public Statement by Harold Gans
- Gans, a retired Senior Cryptologic Mathematician, U.S. Department of Defense, is presently an independent mathematical consultant. His statement concerning Drosnin's book verifies that he supports the scientific basis of ELS but denies that it can be used to predict the future.
An Impartial Opinion on the "Torah Codes"
- This critical article is by Bruce David Wilner, who describes himself as an "electrical engineer and computer scientist with a significant background in pattern recognition...[and] a highly competent mathematician, linguist, and Scripturist.
Mathematician critical of 'Bible Code' bestseller
- June 4, 1997 - CNN article in which Eliyahu Rips, the Israeli mathematician from Hebrew University, debunks the idea that Yitzhak Rabin's assassination was foretold in the Torah. The article also provides a link to the CNN message board on this topic.
The Hidden Codes In The Bible
- Roy A. Reinhold's article (July 1, 1997) picks up the findings from chapter 6 of Drosnin's book that could have implications for a great future war. He says that the term "world war" was encoded with the term "in 5766". In other places "in 5766 was associated with "atomic holocaust", "great earthquake," and "economic collapse." The Jewish year 5766 will start October 4, 2005. [The author himself stresses that this is only a possibility, and we at Prophecy Central urge readers not to set dates. See "Warnings and Cautions."]
Gematria - Another Kind of Code
- The Pattern And The Prophecy - by James Harrison
- This book, written by a Christian Mathematics teacher, illustrates the divine origin of the Bible by the use of the ancient science of gematria - adding the numerical value of a word's letters to arrive at a sum. Endless examples are given of meaningful results which can only be explained by the fact that the Bible is God's Word.
This was released from Harold Gans this morning, for public
Los Angeles Free-Net Steering Committee
Subject: NEW CODES BOOK
Subj: GANS STATEMENT
PUBLIC STATEMENT BY HAROLD GANS
SENIOR CRYPTOLOGIC MATHEMATICIAN, U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE,
PRESENTLY INDEPENDENT MATHEMATICAL CONSULTANT.
I have reviewed the book "The Bible Code" by M. Drosnin.
1. The book states that codes were found in the book of Genesis by Doron
Witztum and Eliyahu Rips. An experiment was performed using scientific
protocols specified by independent reviewers. The results of the experiment
provided extremely strong statistical evidence for the existence of the
encoding of great Jewish sages' names and dates of birth and death in the
Hebrew text of the book of Genesis. This is all true.
2. The book states that I undertook an independent evaluation of the
Witztum - Rips experiment. I duplicated their experiment and provided
corroboration of their results. This is correct.
3. The book states that I also performed a new experiment, using the same
methodology of Witztum and Rips, in which I found that the sages' names were
also encoded in Genesis with their respective cities of birth and death. The
statistical results obtained were even stronger than that obtained for the
first experiment. This is all true.
4. The book also indicates that in spite of concerted efforts by many, no
fatal mathematical flaw has been uncovered in the Witztum - Rips experiment.
This too, is correct.
5. The book states that the codes in the Torah can be used to predict
future events. This is absolutely unfounded. There is no scientific or
mathematical basis for such a statement, and the reasoning used to come to
such a conclusion in the book is logically flawed. While it is true that some
historical events have been shown to be encoded in the Book of Genesis in
certain configurations, it is absolutely not true that every similar
configuration of "encoded" words necessarily represents a potential
historical event. In fact, quite the opposite is true: most such
configurations will be quite random and are expected to occur in any text of
Mr. Drosnin states that his "prediction" of the assasination of Prime
Minister Rabin is "proof" that the "Bible Code" can be used to predict the
future. A single success, regardless of how spectacular, or even several
such "successful" predictions proves absolutely nothing unless the
predictions are made and evaluated under carefully controlled conditions. Any
respectable scientist knows that "anecdotal" evidence never proves anything.
6. A plethora of books have appeared over the last several months,
concerning the codes. Unless the work is reviewed by qualified scientists or
mathematicians, the reader accepts such a book at his own risk.
7. After exhaustive analysis, I have reached the conclusion that the only
information that can be derived from the codes discovered in Genesis is that
they exist, and the probability that they are mere coincidence is vanishingly
June 3, 1997
Return to Top | Prophecy Central Home
Last Updated: 6/14/08
Copyright © 1997-2008 by Ron Graff. All rights reserved.